These are many of the benefits of having Family Promise of the Verdugos in our communities.
- Safe, homelike shelter where families can stay together
- Guests cite the caring of volunteers as one of the most important benefits; “I never knew so many people cared.”
- Intensive case management by Case Managers to assist in finding housing and jobs and meeting other needs.
- Guest families secure long-term housing
- Opportunity to help homeless families directly; to make a difference
- Opportunity to do outreach within their own congregation or a nearby location
- Wide range of volunteer activities to vary schedules and levels of commitment
- Opportunity for families to volunteer together
- Opportunity for outreach (within the congregation’s own facilities) focusing on the needs of people in the community
- Opportunity for participation in the community interfaith project
- Increased sense of community among members as they share the effort
- Cost-efficient mobilization of community resources
- Does not duplicate services already in the community; works with social service agencies to provide counseling, job training, help with housing search, etc.
- Does not institutionalize shelter as a solution to homelessness
- Becomes a catalyst for the other community initiatives, such as job counseling, parenting workshops, transitional housing, etc.